This is my (and my mum’s) recipe for Djej Metisha Mesla, which I think is a Moroccan dish of chicken, tomatoes and rice. Eric refers to it as “Chicken Jihad”, for reasons best left unsaid.
Ingredients (to serve 4)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 cups long grain rice
- blanched almonds / sesame seeds to garnish.
- Fry the onion in a large casserole dish until soft.
- Add the chicken, brown and cook until nearly done.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and spices.
- Bring to the boil, cover, and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice (should take around 15-20 minutes).
- Increase heat and remove lid to thicken the tomato sauce if necessary.
- Stir the honey into the chicken/tomato pan and heat through.
- Serve garnished with the almonds or sesame seeds.