My attendance at the latest RABIES event, and the ensuing “oh god I’m old” melancholy, have set me off really, really missing my own generation of Southampton geeks. And since Twitter seems generally in agreement, I propose: Some Sort of Event! (Fanfare please.)
I’d like to organise another Geek Meet, with a list of attendees more akin to RABIES 1 than RABIES 6. That would include, in no particular order: Myself and Eric, Andy, Rhiannon, Mark (+Alice?), Chantelle, Claire, Donna, Anna, Racheet (+Anne?), Ali, Nick, Martin, Leo, Pete.
Some other complications:
- Anyone know how to get in touch with Anna or Claire? I haven’t spoken to either in years (for which I now feel rather guilty).
- Is Racheet still a controversial guest, or can we consider all the drama “soooo 2006”?
- I can’t remember if Sam and Emily were at RABIES, but they should certainly be invited to this.
- Millzee, Zane, Jo and possibly Frankie were at RABIES 1 too, we might want to invite them too?
- I would feel kind of harsh deliberately excluding 2nd-gen geeks such as Mike & Gemma, Alex, Hugo and Little Andy, but this is already turning into quite a huge guest list.
Next issue: where to hold it? Southampton would seem reasonable; do we have enough people who could offer crash space? Our flat in Bournemouth is on offer, though we couldn’t sleep everybody. And London is probably the easiest place for everyone to get to (and the most to do), but where would we all stay?
And the other question, when should we hold it? Summer might be best for things to do, but holidays and a lack of notice might make it hard to get everyone. Perhaps later in the year?
So that our discussion doesn’t stay relegated to Twitter, here’s a blog post. Let’s have it out in the comments and see what we can come up with! (Probably best if we all comment on LiveJournal to keep everything in one place – and for old time’s sake!)